Friday, January 4, 2013

life recently

I've been embroidering some dish towels for my boyfriend's parents, which is tedious but very fun and exciting. I can see myself improving, which is awesome, and I really love the ideas I came up with - and how they turned out. 


They met while they were stationed at Nellis AFB, so I made one towel with an outline of Nevada and a heart over Nellis' location. The second towel depicts portraits of their dogs, a rescue mutt named Nellis and an English bulldog, Bentley. Here is a more detailed shot of the dogs:


This project was so much fun! My boyfriend and I really love making gifts, and these turned out so wonderful and personal, something you just wouldn't be able to get in a store, and I can't wait to give them to his parents! I'll be visiting before returning to school in a few weeks, so I still have a bit of a wait, but until then, I get to admire my handiwork :)  The dogs were designed by me, though for the bulldog I had a bit of help with references found through Google. I completely freehanded the other dog, though, and I am so proud of how they turned out. To transfer my designs on to the towels, I traced the reverse onto the papery side of freezer paper, outlined with a fine-tipped Sharpie, and ironed the freezer paper to the towel. Then I could see the design and trace it with disappearing ink onto the towel.

No comments: